A super easy nutritious quiche with salmon and spinach, miam miam!
This dish always takes me back to my school days. I still remember when I had to do speed tests as part of the Food Studies practical exam preparation. I always had quiche on my list as it was a high scoring dish. A quiche is a savoury French tart of pastry crust filled with a combination of eggs and cream or milk mixed with a variety of different fillings ranging from meats, vegetables, cheeses and seafood.
What I love the most is the lovely smell of the cooked shortcrust pastry mixed with the egg, milk & cheese, it’s is just awesome! It’s a complete meal in itself as it contains all the three different food groups: energy giving, protein, vitamins & minerals. It’s very common at brunches and it can be served either warm or cold though it’s best served at room temperature.
Shortcrust pastry is basically a pastry made with twice as much flour as fat by weight. In this recipe, I replaced white flour with wholewheat flour, and I decreased the amount of butter, it works well. I love the spinach and salmon flavour a lot, it’s just nutrilicious (nutritious and delicious). The spinach adds that vitamins & iron boost while the salmon helps to check in the protein and the essential fatty acids. I love the frozen spinach, it’s super practical and quick to prepare.
Tips for making the perfect shortcrust pastry:
- Keep everything cool, ingredients and utensils.
- Handle very lightly and do not over-rub the fat into the flour.
- Do not add too much liquid.
- Bake into a hot oven.
- 210g wholewheat flour
- 70g butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 – 5 tbsp milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk powder
- 100g spinach
- 200g salmon
- 1 onion
- ½ Capsicum
- 1 gloves garlic
- 50g cheese
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and grease a 25cm tart tin.
- Put the wholewheat flour in a large bowl, add a pinch of salt and rub in the butter to form a fine crumble like mixture.
- Add milk to form a dough.
- Roll and line the tart tin.
- Prick the base with a fork and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Add olive oil to a large sauce pan, add onion, the spinach with 1 glove of garlic and cook for 3 – 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cooked the salmon over low heat on both sides, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs and add the milk powder and cheese, mix well. Season the mixture with salt, pepper.
- Arrange the fresh salmon and the cooked spinach in the tart ring, pour over the egg-milk mixture and put it in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Leave the quiche to cool slightly and garnish with fresh thyme.