Oats are an incredibly nutritious food packed with important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are versatile, budget-friendly, nutritional powerhouses among the healthiest grain on earth! Oats have been scientifically proven to have many health benefits. In their true form (rolled or steel cut oats) oats are a whole grain, meaning all three parts of the edible grain (bran, endosperm and germ) remain intact, thus preserving all the nutritional value of the product.
Here are 5 key reasons to consider including this awesome food in your diet:
- Oats boost your energy levels. They are great source of slow releasing carbohydrates which helps provide the fuel you need for longer duration. They are a low GI carbohydrates – that is they don’t cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels and thus, provide sustained energy to keep going throughout the day.
- Oats increase the feeling of fullness. On top of the sustained energy distribution, the nutritious profile of oats also keeps your tummy full for longer periods of time. The protein content together with the soluble fiber work to increase the satiety hormones and delay gastric emptying – keeping you full for longer.
- Oats can lower your cholesterol levels. The superstar soluble fiber beta-glucan is effective at reducing cholesterol re-absorption in the gut.
- Oats contain antioxidants, namely Avenathramides. This particular antioxidant helps in the control of blood pressure for better blood flow. It can also act as an anti-inflammatory and anti-atherogenic agent, preventing plaque build-up in arteries.
- Oats help to keep your bowels regular. The presence of resistant starch and insoluble fiber makes our gut happy. The resistant starch makes its way to the large intestine undigested where it feeds the good bacteria needed for a happy, healthy gut! The insoluble fiber absorbs water as it moves through the bowels and helps to soften and bulk up our poop – ensuring things move regularly.
You don’t like porridge?! No worries, we respect your choice and taste but such a valuable grains cannot be ignored!
So, why not try to use it differently Let’s make some oat chapatis!
Enjoy the recipe.